Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:43:46 +0200
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>
To:        "Tkachenko, Artem N" <artem.n.tkachenko@lmco.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Network interfaces

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 00:34, Tkachenko, Artem N wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Inspiron 5100 and I install FreeBSD 4.8 on it. The computer ha=
s an
> integrated NIC. After installation and typing ifconfig I see the there =
was
> no network interfaces detected. Typing /stand/sysinstall and checking t=
he
> network interfaces configuration I see the fallowing:
>
> faith0 =09<unknown network interface type>
> sl0=09SLIP interface on device /dev/cuaa0 (COM1)
> ppp0 =09PPP interface on device /dev/cuaa0 (COM1)
I don't have an inspiron to test this, but I found the following link wit=
h=20
Google :
http://jturner.tapetrade.net/docs/installing_freebsd_on_inspirion5100.htm=

Basically the page says your laptop has a broadcom 4400 NIC which can be =
used=20
through an unsupported driver. Hope this helps...

grtz,
Daan