Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:23:00 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   /etc/motd update

The existing /etc/motd breaks many of our document rules and has some
weird language constructs.  The current version in HEAD:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/etc/motd?view=co

Here is a rewrite.  URLs are now the only thing on a line, instead of
inline and hard to locate.  No contractions are used.  Odd phrases are
rephrased:

Here is the proposed new version and a diff:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/motd/motd
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/motd/motd.diff

Making it clear that commands are to be typed without quotes is a little
difficult.  This file is plain text, so no out-of-band highlighting is
available.  ANSI colors or bold could be used, but the terminal is not
guaranteed to be able to display them.  The only really clear way would
be to put commands on a separate line, indented.  That takes up more
space, maybe not a big deal.

The other issue is whether we should mention the search box on the web
page, which is not very effective at finding things.

Comments and suggestions welcome.