Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 2012 17:18:34 +0000
From:      "Peter Harrison" <four.harrisons@googlemail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Realtek RTL8191SEvB Linux driver?

   Jerry,
   Sorry for top posting. Take offense if you like.
   The o= nly thing I have to say after experiencing the last few days
   on-list is to = (gently) point out that not everyone's goal in life is
   to run a system like= Windows. If that was what I wanted I'd be
   running Windows.
   I find F= reeBSD more intuitive and easier to use. And I'm prepared to
   accept that I = have to be a bit picky about the hardware I buy. I
   consider it a price wort= h paying.
   Would I like better hardware support? Of course! But if th= e price of
   that is a fundamental change to the OS interface, then I think t= he
   price is too high.
   It strikes me that Ubuntu are running very fas= t to turn Linux into
   Windows. They'll have good device support and a strong= GUI layer. I'm
   sure that will fit a lot of users needs, but /not mine/.
   People who wa= nt that should use Ubuntu. Or Windows. People who like
   the freedom and "con= figurability" offered by FreeBSD should use
   FreeBSD and accept the payoff. = And we should all just rub along,
   happy in the knowledge that we have chose= n the system we want.

   --
   Pe= ter Harrison

   On 3 Jan 201= 2 12:11, Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net> wrote:
   On Tue, 03= Jan 2012 16:44:30 +1000=0D
   Da Rock articulated:=0D
   =0D
   > On 01= /03/12 11:15, Jeffrey McFadden wrote:=0D
   > > I have a Toshiba Sate= llite U505-S2950 laptop with a Realtek=0D
   > > RTL8191SEvB wireless= card built in. FreeBSD doesn't recognize
   this=0D
   > > card and ca= n't use it, but Ubuntu does.=0D
   > >=0D
   > > Would it be po= ssible to go glom a Linux driver off the web=0D
   > > someplace and = install it in my FreeBSD and get the wireless
   to=0D
   > > work? I'm= using a USB Belkin in it now, but that's an unhandy=0D
   > > thing = sticking out like it does.=0D
   > >=0D
   > Unfortunately the API= 's are completely different. Adrian Chadd
   does a =0D
   > lot of work on= Wifi in FreeBSD, but I'm not sure if its on the
   todo=0D
   > list or no= t. Try a search on google...=0D
   =0D
   This is what drives me to pull my= hair out. I have stated several
   times=0D
   that all the *nix/*BSD consort= ium needs to do to become truly=0D
   competitive in the market is to devis= e a uniform API that works the
   same=0D
   on FreeBSD as on Ubuntu and every= other non-windows based system.
   The=0D
   concept is so simple that it ama= zes me that it was not
   implemented=0D
   eons ago.=0D
   =0D
   The problem= is that the non-windows operating system authors all
   behave=0D
   live lit= tle children. None of them can simply get along. The all
   have=0D
   to insi= st that "they" have the best and everyone else is wrong.
   They=0D
   swing b= etween Narcissism and Paranoia on any given day. You would
   have=0D
   an ea= sier time getting a Jew and a Muslim to sit down at a table
   and=0D
   enjoy= a ham dinner than you have of getting the powers that be in
   the=0D
   non-= windows community to agree to anything, other than their hatred
   of=0D
   Mi= crosoft of course.=0D
   =0D
   I have spoken with representatives of compa= nies, the last one
   being=0D
   Brother International, who plain out stated = that they only
   support=0D
   Microsoft (naturally - they offer the easiest = and best documented=0D
   system for driver installation) and a vanilla Lin= ux solution.
   They=0D
   openly stated that there is no way that they would = even attempt
   to=0D
   write software for a market as fractured as the *nix/= *BSD community
   and=0D
   then be straddled with the problem of supporting s= uch software.
   Hell,=0D
   every time someone in the BSD community dotted an= "i" in the
   kernel=0D
   source code the poor driver authors would have to = rewrite their
   device=0D
   code. Certainly a task I would not want to be as= signed.=0D
   =0D
   Ubuntu is years ahead of FreeBSD in creating a useful = and fully=0D
   functional desktop, I read where they were working on makin= g it=0D
   possible to use a driver disk intended for Microsoft's Windows O= S=0D
   usable in Ubuntu. They were working on a method of simply extractin=
   g=0D
   the code needed directly from a CD and using it directly on Ubuntu.=
   Now=0D
   that is what I call true "forward" thinking.=0D
   =0D
   The au= thors of FreeBSD, and to a lesser extend Linux remind me of
   group=0D
   of = of passengers left floating in the ocean after their ship sank.
   The=0D
   b= est case scenario at that point would be to be rescued by
   another=0D
   pas= sing ship. However, while waiting for that to occur it would
   seem=0D
   log= ical to grab onto any object that floated by and thereby allow
   the=0D
   st= randed individual a better chance at survival. If these were
   Ubuntu=0D
   s= urvivors there would be no question as to what they would choose
   to=0D
   d= o, as well as some of the more enlighten *nix" users. However,
   the=0D
   *B= SD users, especially the FreeBSD ones would rather drown than
   accept=0D
   = a solution that was not counter to what everyone else was trying
   to=0D
   a= ccomplish.=0D
   =0D
   I have, mistakenly I admit, stated that there are n= o drivers for
   lots=0D
   of devices currently available on the market, espe= cially the higher
   end=0D
   ones. That statement is essentially incorrect. = There are drivers
   for=0D
   these devices, and other OSs are taking advanta= ge of them.
   FreeBSD,=0D
   in its unending war against simplicity and conti= nued insistence=0D
   on reinventing the wheel, refuses to avail itself of = them.=0D
   =0D
   You can lead a horse to water; however, you cannot stop = it from
   running=0D
   head long into the desert and dying of thirst. Stupid= ity IS its
   own=0D
   punishment.=0D
   =0D
   It took the Catholic church u= ntil 1992 to admit that Galileo
   Galilei=0D
   was correct and the earth doe= s rotate around the sun. So there is
   hope.=0D
   Perhaps someday FreeBSD wi= ll become "enlightened" also.=0D
   =0D
   -- =0D
   Jerry =E2=99=94=0D
   = =0D
   Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.=
   =0D
   Please do not ignore the Reply-To header.=0D