Date:      Fri, 1 Jul 2016 14:49:42 -0400
From:      Allen <bsd_atog@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Simple" Languages in FreeBSD

On Fri, 1 Jul 2016 07:50:18 -0400
Ultima <ultima1252@gmail.com> wrote:

>  If perl has been decided, I suggest learning rperl instead of regular
> perl. They more or less the same, except in that rperl has a stricter
> syntax usage (correct me if I'm wrong, not an expert). It will
> compile it into a c blob and be much faster than regular perl. One of
> the compile settings was 400ish times faster? Yeah... if I were to
> learn perl, it would definitely be rperl.

Honestly I've never even heard of RPerl. I'll look into that for sure.
Thank you for the reply, and Honestly I'd never heard of it. I do have
the Learning Perl Book, and I've also got a bunch of Books I've
downloaded for Perl, and I have a decent amount of books on each of the
three (Python, Perl, Ruby) so I could do that. But I'm going to look
into RPerl, as that sounds very interesting to say the least. Thanks
again!

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 6:22 AM, krad <kraduk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Depending on the problems you are tackling it may also be worth
> > thinking about things at a higher level as well. eg if you are
> > doing systems maintenance/automation look at something like
> > ansible. It's not programming in an traditional sense, but it can
> > make things a lot easier to do, especially if you are doing things
> > at scale. There are other config management tools out there (chef,
> > puppet, salt, fabric etc) but ansible is relatively easy to setup
> > and get going, and will utilise anything you learn in python very
> > well. Don't be put off by the fact you may only have a small number
> > of machines, it still makes life easier.

Yea I'm not in charge of any machines other than the ones I have in my
home, and I used to have 11 Computers I used for various tasks, like
one machine was a Linux box that I used mainly for making Music with
LMMS, and I do enjoy making Music; I play Instruments, and I also use
Computers to make music as well. Most of it ends up being Industrial
sounding, and I've gotten a lot of compliments for how I use Samples
and things from other people. I also make Punk, and some weird mixes of
Rock-A-Billy / Psychobilly, and Metal, and then I've also made some
weird stuff that sounds sort of like "Heavy techno" lol. Then I have
the very first Computer I ever bought, which is still kicking lol. I
use that as my FTP Server so that my Wife and I can back up stuff to
one machine, and then from there, back up to USB Drives and CDs and so
on. I do a lot of back ups because I've destroyed my file systems a few
times, unlinked a File System or two, and even had physical damage to
machines, so I try to stay up on back ups and things.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate any opinions, and I'm
looking into a lot of stuff now. I really was surprised about RPerl,
I'd never heard of that before, and so it's nice to see something new
from a question.

Thanks very much everyone,

-Allen