Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2017 21:32:02 +0800
From:      Jia-Shiun Li <jiashiun@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: patching cpufreq for rpi3

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 3:00 AM, Jia-Shiun Li <jiashiun@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was figuring out why frequency scaling does not work
> on rpi3, and found that bcm2837 was not caught in some
> cases. Thus the attached patch.
>
> The patch corrects voltage reporting for rpi3.
> Frequency scaling still does not work though.
> Any ideas?

So, beginner pitfall #1: bad power
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83372
Make sure you have sufficient power and decent cable.
Otherwise power LED will blink or even go off.
The little square of rainbow or flash on top right corner of display
is also indication of it.

BTW you also need heatsink or fan for it to work under load and
high frequency without being throttled.

One thing that bothers me is on RPi3, hw.cpufreq.turbo defaults
not to 0, but -1. And firmware does not limit it to 1/0, but increase/
decrease every time when set repeatedly. So in order to bump
speed one actually need to set frequency or turbo twice after
booting to make turbo=1.

-Jia-Shiun.