Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:49:56 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Recent changes to libdialog are weird

Eric Melville wrote:

| > I agree with and like the new behaviour but I think it is still lacking
| > in one aspect. When using a mouse to position your cursor it's very
| > obvious where that cursor is and what it's pointing to. With lidialog
| > it's hard to tell at just a glance where the cursor is because it's only
| > a few characters wide even if the "button" it's on is wider, and it's a
| > drab gray color. If the cursor were something brighter and unique it
| > might make it easier to distinguish as "the cursor" and there for easier
| > to understand. Red maybe?
| >
| > Anyone else think this is a good idea?
|
| That would be excellent. However, according to jkh there is no easy means
| of doing this, which leaves us with the option of changing the grey
| background around.

What it needs more than anything else is to learn to respond to
Ctrl-L to repaint its screen.  When something messes up the
screen, it's a total nightmare to complete an install the way it
is now.

And it needs a way to go back step by step through the menus.
There are too many ways that you can end up having to completely
restart an install if you get tricked by one of the unintuitive
keystrokes and go forward a level by mistake.