Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 1995 13:55:27 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI only halfway committed to 2.1.0, boot floppy?

>I just supped the latest -stable, and it looks like the IDE CD-ROM support
>is only halfway committed.  Slightly old versions of atapi.c, atapi.h, and
>wcd.c are there,

   Slightly old versions? There the exact same versions that are in -current.

> as well as the appropriate entries in files.i386 and
>conf.c, but wd.c hasn't been patched with the appropriate "#ifdef ATAPI"
>sections.  I'm not sure if the right entry is in /dev/MAKEDEV since I
>can't seem to find it in the source tree!  Can someone please commit the
>latest (ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/wcd18a.tgz) ATAPI driver
>to GENERIC, now that the IDE probing problems have been fixed?

   Yes, I know that the changes haven't been made to wd.c. This is
intentional, and I do plan to bring these in soon (despite some objections
to the contrary. Sigh). I had to make some changes to wd.c before bringing
in the ATAPI stuff (the changes were to guarantee that the non-ATAPI case
uses the original code).

-DG