Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2011 02:50:19 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        lists@eitanadler.com
Cc:        lists@opsec.eu, corky1951@comcast.net, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dropping maintainership of my ports

Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:

> > I've been told that we shouldn't be looking for reasons
> > to save any unmaintained port,
>
> What you have been told is "no-one steps up to (a) fix the
> problem, (b) take maintainership and (c) _continue_ with
> maintainership ...
>
> If you are stepping up to do the work that is great and we thank
> you for that! We we don't want is people who only volunteer for
> part (a) and don't continue with (b) and (c).
>
> > and I was specifically told this in response to my
> > efforts to identify ports that have a lot of users.
>
> Merely finding "popular" ports does not help. We need people
> who have the time and energy to maintain the ports.

My reading was that Charlie _was_ "stepping up to do the work" --
all 3 parts of it.  Since there weren't any unmaintained ports that
he personally uses, he was volunteering to take on some that he does
_not_ personally use, as a service to the community.  In order to
achieve The Greatest Good For The Greatest Number (TM), he wanted
a way to identify "popular" unmaintained ports.  His proposed method
of finding out _where his efforts would do the most good for the
community_ was met not with constructive suggestions, nor even mere
indifference, but with outright hostility.  Can you blame him for
getting fed up, especially since this is apparently not the first
time he has encountered that sort of attitude from those who should
know better?

> I do not want to say that "we are a volunteer project" and as such
> are forgiven  however such a model does change how we must do
> things ...

FreeBSD is indeed a volunteer project.  Driving away would-be
volunteers like Charlie -- and others who will now hesitate to take
on port maintainership after reading how he has been treated -- is
not in the Project's best interest.  I think several contributors
to this thread owe both Charlie and the community an apology.