Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:52:56 -0800
From:      normal <jzimdar@lakefield.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   can't get ppp to connect while installing via ftp

Help! when I try to install FreeBSD off of your FTP directory using the
boot floppy the PPP dialer won't dial out on its own and all attempts
I've made to connect with "term" have failed. Our ISP uses PAP for login
and the "setauthname" and "set authkey" commands don't seem to work
After I go through all the necessary steps of the installer I get a
screen that says that the PPP command is now started on VTY3. hitting
alt f3 I get a screen that says

user interface: tun0
interactive mode
ppp ON lakefield> Warning: can't create /var/run/tuno.pid: no such file
or directory

when I use term to log in I see the following screen

ppp ON lakefield> term
Warning: can't create /var/run/cuaa1.if: no such file or directory
exists
Enter to terminal mode
type `~?' for help
atdt7582689
CONNECT 57600/ARQ/V34/LAPM/V42BIS

Autoprotocoldetect -  Begin protocol or enter 4 returns for interactive
mode

I then hit four returns

Enter username>

I then enter my username It then asks me for a password and I type it in
and hit enter and it says this

Enter password> ppp ON lakefield> packet mode.

It then hangs up and says

Warning: can't remove /var/run/cuaa1.if: No such file or directory
ppp ON lakefield

your help will be greatly appreciated