Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 1995 00:25:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alexis Yashkov <alexis@harley.ios.com>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        maral@webnet.com.au, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rlogin is blocked for quite a long time

Hi,

> > > I've been annoyed by this one, too.  Often.  Even for nearby
> > > connections (e.g. uriah.heep.sax.de <-> sax.sax.de, one hop; or even
> > > on a local ethernet).
> > >

> > Im using rsh over local ether on Win95 to run xterm's.
> >
> > In .rhosts I have the hostname and the FQDN and it seems ok.
> >
> > ie.
> > gate
> > gate.co.uk

Why should I put short names in .rhosts? I don't think this
problem has something to do with name resolution.

> rsh is not the problem. I can do repeated rsh within short intervals.
> It's just after an explicit rlogin. Also I'm not sure if it's a client
> or server problem. Both systems are FreeBSD 2.2 resp. 2.0.5.

I have this problem with both rsh and rlogin. Both client and server
systems are FreeBSD 2.x (I don't specify exact numbers here because
we have different releases and snaps here from 2.0.5-RELEASE till
2.1.0-951020-SNAP and they all have the problem). I almost always
have to wait about 40-60 seconds to connect to the host again after
I've closed connection. First time I noticed this problem running
remote dump via rsh and was forced to work around (to put 60 sec.
delay between connections in the script). And one more thing, I have
no problems connecting from FreeBSD to Suns running SunOS 4.1.4 and
Solaris 2.4.

--
  ______
  \____/  Internet Online Services	Phone:	201 928 1000 ext 501