Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2012 21:47:02 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multimedia/zoneminder: rc script runs mysql commands?

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:41:27 -0600
Mark Felder <feld@feld.me> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:16:45 -0600, Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru>
> wrote:
>
> > The problem is: while start-up zoneminder is launched after mysql
> > was started but is not responding yet. Then zoneminder can't
> > register it's cameras, etc. This hack was introduced to catch the
> > moment when mysql really is operational and then start zoneminder.
> > If someone has a solution -- you are welcome.
>
> Instead of hacking up zoneminder's rc script with further patches
> like pulling out the real mysql server, database, username and
> password perhaps we should see if we can get the mysql maintainer(s)
> to fix the mysql rc script so it doesn't exit until the service is
> fully fired up and functional?

This, unfortunatelly, highlights perhaps our biggest problem with
starting services.

rc.d basically only *orders* the scripts
- REQUIRE is just "this service needs to be started after that one"
- AFTER is just a lax checkpoint in the booting sequence
And if a script doesn't really start the service, for whatever reason,
there's 0 feedback mandeted/provided by the framework.

For short, while everything works OK, it's good enough. If not ... it's
just misleading.

FreeBSD committer -> itetcu@FreeBSD.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B