Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2013 08:56:11 +0100 (BST)
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bris.ac.uk>
To:        bapt@FreeBSD.org, stephen@missouri.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Explain staging

>Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 08:15:11 +0200
>From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
>To: Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
>Subject: Re: Explain staging
>
>On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 10:44:32PM -0500, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
>> I have not been following discussions recently.  There is this new thing
>> called staging.  I don't seem able to find the original emails where
>> this was introduced.
>>=20
>> Is there an email or a website which explains in some detail how staging
>> works?  It is badly messing with a port I am developing.  I can fix it
>> by setting NO_STAGE=3Dyes, but I would like to get a better idea of why it
>> is failing.  The failure is during the build process.
>>=20
>> Sorry for not following closer.
>
>Not a problem.
>
>Staging is basically installing everything into a staging area "${WRKSRC}/s=
>tage"
>before messing up the system. What most of package system calls DESTDIR or
>FAKEDIR.

sorry, I still don't get it.
What is achived by staging?

>=46rom that stage a create can be directly created (even as a single user).=
> or the
>stage can be sync into the filesystem.

I don't understand what you mean.
Do you mean that an unprivileged user can
somehow install software from ports not under
/usr/local?

>2 new targets can help you staging your ports: make check-orphans and make
>makeplist.
>
>You should have received 2 mails from me with some details about staging:
>one called "[HEADSUP] Stage support for the ports tree"
>and on called "Staging, packages and more" (very recent as of yesterday)
>
>The following wiki page https://wiki.freebsd.org/ports/StageDir has been cr=
>eated
>for tips and helps around staging.

I've read your mails and the wiki page,
but still not sure what, if anything,
I need/could do with my ports.

I trust you know what you are doing,
but the meaning is not clear to me (yet).

Is the idea that all ports must/should
support staging?

If a port doesn't support staging,
will it fail portlint checks?