Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 22:35:56 -0800
From:      Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   URGENT HELP NEEDED

I've got a 2.2.5 system that I use as a web server. It's been running
great.

All of a sudden, no one can log in. Typing in a valid username/password
results the following message:

    login: /bin/sh: permission denied
    Connection closed by foreign host.

By the way, this happens if I try to login via the console as well.

I can login as root. programs that are linked static run ok. Dynamic linked
apps die with the following message:

   www# man
   Couldn't open /usr/libexec/ld.so.
   www#

/var/log/messages has the following messages also:

    login: /bin/sh: permission denied
    Connection closed by foreign host.

By the way, this happens if I try to login via the console as well.

I can login as root. programs that are linked static run ok. Dynamic linked
apps die with the following message:

   www# man
   Couldn't open /usr/libexec/ld.so.
   www#

/var/log/messages has the following messages also:

   www login: _secure_path: cannot stat /home/joe/.login.conf: Permission denied
   www login: _secure_path: cannot stat /etc/login.conf: Permission denied

There seems to be a general problem running dynamically linked apps.

Login.conf, ld.so exist - have the proper permissions and have the same
checksum as version on another 2.2.5 system.

Joe