Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:57:31 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interesting panic very early in the boot

Szilveszter Adam wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 11:35:35AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > My bet on the root cause, if I am correct, means that if you change
> > the amount of physical RAM installed in the machine, the problem will
> > go away, and that the problem is probably rare because it depends on
> > certain things that are more complicated, after Matt's changes after
> > my complaints about machdep.c reservations on large memory machines,
> > as the amount of physical RAM approaches the size of the address
> > space.
>
> 'Key, I can try that too. However, this machine is anything but "large
> memory" these days: it has 128 Megs of (non-DDR) SDRAM. (2x64)

It used to be that you would see the problem on large memory
machines.

Matt's changes have likely converted this into a discontinuous
function.

Another way of checking this without cracking the hood on the
machine is to crank up the value of "maxfiles".  For complicated
reasons, it's best to put this number at 50,000 or higher, if
you can still boot your machine with the prereservation of that
much KVA space; the result should be an alternative mask for the
problem.

-- Terry