Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 12:46:46 -0500
From:      Daniel Frazier <dfrazier@magpage.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   losing network connectivity...

hey all,

poomba:~ $ uname -a
FreeBSD poomba.magpage.com 4.3-RC FreeBSD 4.3-RC #1: Tue Mar 27 15:16:21
EST 2001     root@poomba.magpage.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FBSD4-6  i386

Over the last week or so I've made/built world a few times so I'm not
sure exactly when this started, but lately I've been experiencing
total loss of network connectivity on my workstation.  By that I mean
any current connection I have(ssh sessions, etc.) freeze up and I'm
unable to ping my default gateway or other hosts on my subnet.

For a while now(weeks,months...) I've been seeing a bunch of these
messages in dmesg...

dc0: failed to force tx and rx to idle state

...which I've noticed that others were seeing as well, although until
recently there weren't any other symptoms of any problem.  After
losing connectivity again just a few minutes ago I noticed something
new in dmesg...

dc0: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold

...but I'm not sure that that's pertinant since according to the
timestamp in messages that happened around 1am this morning, well
before I even got in to work.  Each time I've lost connectivity over
the past few days the only way I've been able to restore it was to
reboot.  Taking the interface down and bringing it back up doesn't
work.

Any insight?  Anything else I can try to recover without having to
reboot?  Any additional info I can provide that may be helpful next
time this happens?  Thanks.

Daniel Frazier  <dfrazier@magpage.com>   Tel:  302-239-5900 Ext. 231
Systems Administrator                     Fax:  302-239-3909
MAGPAGE, We Power the Internet           WWW:  http://www.magpage.com/

        - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.