Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 17:22:45 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: startslip

> No point reinventing the wheel .....
> Has anyone got patches to convert src/sbin/startslip to accept
> a syntax like:
> 	startslip ........  device user1 passwd1 user2 passwd

Excuse me, but *what*?

> ( where an arbitrary amount of crud may occur from a line switching box
>   between the end of passwd1 and prior to the login: prompt for  user2 )

This sounds like something that's already built-in to slattach.

slattach -a -h -r /etc/sliphome/dial -s 115200 cuaa1

Where /etc/sliphome/dial is:
#!/bin/sh
#
#
# This program uses the chat program to (re)dial and connect back up to the
# SLIP host

PHONE=1234567
USER=Slipuser
PASSWORD=secret
DEVICE=cuaa1

# XXX - As it stands now, we try to dial the remote site every 10 seconds
# or so until it answers.  It would be better to have an exponential
# backoff algorithm, but this way is much easier to write and guarantees
# a connection as soon as one is available.

# Wait just a little for the line to settle down
sleep 10

(if chat -v ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT BUSY "" ATZ1 OK ATM0 OK ATDT$PHONE CONNECT
"" ogin: $USER ssword: \\q$PASSWORD
then
    exit 0
else