Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 17:25:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <olaf@nightfire.de>
To:        <hiroyu-y@tkc.att.ne.jp>
Cc:        <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 release, problem with K6 cpus ?

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 hiroyu-y@tkc.att.ne.jp wrote:

> Hi all.
> I happen to own machine with K-6II & K6-III both on ASUS SP-98N.
>
> When I was runnig 4.4 RELEASE on both machine rock stable, but after
> I've CVSup to 4.5 RELEASE, it became unstable.
>
> Worst was on K6-III.sshd will not execute  given me bus error.
> ssh client will also not connect to remote sshd given me buserror.
> On K6-II machine, I couldn't compile the kernel, given me kernel panic.
>
> Has anybody out there had luck running stable K-6II & K6-III cpu with
> 4.5 RELEASE?

Hi!

Well, just played with an old machine here in my offic, that is intended
to be used as a mp3-server for internal use.
ASUS P5A (ALI chip), 64 MB PC66, PCI ATI vid card (el cheapo)
Intel EEPro 10/100 (82557)
Adaptec 2940UW: narrow channel: Teac CDR58 as CDrom, on the wide channel a
9 gig barracuda, originally LVD.

Hmm, the system came up, but within installing I had lots of probs with
the controller, which reset some times and finally hung with the big
transfers whilst installin ports collection...

Ok, took a 68-50 pin adapter, and connected the drive to the narrow chain.
Also told the 2940UW to only use narrow negotiation...

after that, I discovered that the CPU was clocked to 100MHz FSB, whilst a
colleague told me that it should have been a 333->66MHz FSB.
So clocked down the CPU to 66*3,5=233 MHz, and it is running fine

I installed 4.5-R from CD, and since then I only had the box transferring
some 5 GB data via ftp in one big swoop, and the system remained stable.

I only had the box running for a few hours, and it performed well, but to
me my other (ok, Intel based with HX/BX chipsets) seemed more happy with
4.3 and 4.4, but this also might be due to different mainboards.

HTH
Olaf Hoyer