Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 23:58:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <bifrost@frond.minions.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HP Netserver LPr

I have a whole bunch of these, some with Linux (yech), some
with Solaris X86 (whee!) and one with FreeBSD on it.

FreeBSD and Solaris X86 run really nicely on them, Linux blows
itself apart because the boards use NCR U2W chipsets on them and
there is some kind of interaction and race condition which causes
ext2 to hose itself on them at random intervals. Nothing new to
Linux (Just re-install, just like Windows!).

They have the same stepping, on both CPU's, and the boxes
run perfect. I'd say the boxes aren't really cost effective
at $17k a pop and you'd be *much* better off with a Telenet
box (www.tesys.com) but if HP is what you've got around, its
whats around :)

---
Tom							bifrost@minions.com
	"Where am I and why am I in this handbasket?"