Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 2010 17:19:19 -0400
From:      Wesley Shields <wxs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>, obrien@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: editors/vim installs to /

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 01:49:37PM -0400, jhell wrote:

> After a force upgrade of vim that had failed unfortunately not
> registering the files it installed already I found out that it is
> installing to / ~!!!!! ugh.
>
> Why is ${PREFIX} being used and not ${LOCALBASE} ???

I reverted to the previous Makefile just to get something working before
I leave. I did want to point out that the cleanup (at least for me) was
not that hard. /man and /share were left behind along with a handful of
files in /bin that shouldn't have been there. Once I had reverted and
installed vim I was able to use something like

pkg_info -L -x vim | fgrep /usr/local/bin | sed -e 's|/usr/local||'

To find the files which were in /bin that should not have been there.
Not all of them were there in my case but the cleanup was easy. Just
delete /man and /share and the handful of files in /bin.

I still don't know what the real fix for this is but hopefully someone
is working on it. ;)

-- WXS