Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 09:03:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        ken@kdm.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: buildfailure -current on Alpha?

In article <199909230713.BAA02743@panzer.kdm.org>,
Kenneth D. Merry <ken@kdm.org> wrote:

> I take it you haven't rebuilt world in the past few months?  There was a
> change that went in in June, I think, that requires that you reinstall
> ld-elf.so.1 manually before you can buildworld on an Alpha.  Kinda
> annoying, I think.

Annoying but unavoidable.  There's no way to override the location of
the dynamic linker at make world time, for security-related reasons.
An important bugfix to the Alpha binutils required an updated dynamic
linker to handle the new relocation type.  The new dynamic linker was
committed well before the binutils changes that required it.  But
still it can bite people who aren't tracking -current very closely.
That's life in currentland.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron