Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 1997 14:35:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reverse name problem

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Wm Brian McCane wrote:
>
> > I am having a problem with my DNS.  I have setup both the primary and
> > secondary DNS to be machines on my internal network.  One of my partners
>
> You need to tidy up a few things.
>
> In your zone file for uit.net, you list only dns.uit.net.
> InterNIC has dns.uit.net and mail.uit.net listed.  You should make this
> consistent.  Also, you should ask someone on the freebsd-isp list if they
> would be kind enough to secondary you.  You really should have a remote
> secondary.  The philosophy is: "Even if you are not reachable, you should
> be resolvable."
Actually, this is my old ISP, which I had hoped to put out of business
because of their extremely poor service.  Their main guy went to work at
another ISP in the area.  And the owner does not go in to the office.
There is a sign posted by the door that says they will only be there by
appointment.  They don't respond to email, and their answering machine is
saying that there is no room for more messages, so how can I make an
appointment?

> Otherwise, if you have a problem, people won't even be able to find out
> your IP addresses, or MX records (ask your upstream provider to act as a
> mail relay and list a backup MX record).  You really don't want people to
> see "Host not found" messages when you are down - much better to have a
> "host not responding".
I will talk to my upstream about the backup MX, but actually he told me
he has a consultant that he brings in when necessary to do this sort of
thing.  So I might be partially on my own.

> When you get a new secondary (or two) list them in your zone file and
> register the new data for uit.net with InterNIC.
In about 2 weeks, I will have an alternate connection from my second
location, to a different upstream feed.  After that I will be my own
secondary and MX backup (at least that is the plan).

> The same goes for 205.83.209 and any other domains you are hosting.
I am hosting 208.155.166, and am trying get a second "C" at the time that
I start the other connection.

> Danny

	brian

He rides a cycle of mighty days, and   \ Wm Brian and Lori McCane
he represents the last great schizm     \ McCane Consulting
among the gods. Evil though he obviously \ root@bmccane.cavtech.com
is, he is a mighty figure, this father of \ http://bmccane.cavtech.com/
my spirit, and I respect him as the sons   \ http://bmccane.cavtech.com/~pictures/
of old did the fathers of their bodies.     \ http://bmccane.cavtech.com/~bmccane/
    Roger Zelazny - "Lord of Light"          \