Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:57:45 -0500
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, fs@freebsd.org, arch@bellatlantic.net
Subject:   Re: about common group & user ID space (PR kern/14584)

Boris Popov wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Sergey Babkin wrote:
>
> > I want to commit PR kern/14584. I've been told that it's good
> > to discuss it in -arch, -security and -fs. (It has been sort of
> > discussed on -hackers already, there were not much replies).
>
>         However, I'm more liked it, if it will be possible to enable such
> behavior on a per-mount basis (but I guess we're out of spare mount
> options).

Eh, I should have cc-ed it to all the lists at once. I've already
answered this  in -arch:

I think that this should be a system-wide option: the /etc/passwd
ang /etc/group files are common for the whole OS, and this
option describes their contents. So setting this value per
filesystem makes no sense and may cause unobvious errors
when different filesystems get mounted by mistake with different
values of common ID.

-SB