Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:28:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   UP ans SMP on the same kernel

How much work would it take to make a kernel that could run
on both SMP and UP machines (and use the extra CPUs?)

UP kernels can run on SMP hardware, so I guess that it's mainly finding
a way of switching from using the PIC to using some APICS
dynamically, when you find that you have SMP hardware.

Incidently I have several UP machines that have APICs
and it may be effective to be able to run an APIC
kernel on this hardware..

(This all assumes that the rest of the kernel was compiled
SMP to have all the lockeng etc.)