Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 22:06:42 -0400
From:      "Brad Bates" <bab@[204.199.163.200]>
To:        <news@cowboys.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What Files Do I download????

Hello Murray,

If the PC you want to use can connect to the Internet,
especially if it has a NIC installed, then you do not need
the CD (but that is always a perfectly good option).

To build and use FreeBSD without the CD, go to this URL:

	http://www2.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

Strong recommendation -- read the instructions and follow the
links from that page.  You may want to read what is at those
links and keep dropping back to the above page as you move
around the site(s).  You may also want to read more of the
documentation before you start so that you are familiar with
some of the options you will see during the installation phase.
If you know UNIX, then most of this will be straightforward.  If
not, then read as much as you can.

Download the installation boot image and the fdimage.exe files
from the above page, and start the installation.  After you make
your choices from the menu selections all of the files needed
to meet the specifications you state will be copied to your PC.
This can take a while -- put on a pot of coffee or whatever and
continue reading.

I am not aware of any telephone support, but this mail list is an
excellent place to learn about what you are going to do.  You
may want to just follow it for a while and continue reading the
documentation for a few days before you begin -- it could save
you a bit of time in the end.  Also, check out the archives to
learn about other things you may want to know.

You have made a good choice for DNS (and several other
things you can do).  By the way, will you be running that as
a server registered with the Internic, or some private or
caching-only configuration?  Just curious, so if you respond
just send to me & not the list.

Enjoy!

bab