Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 13:47:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jgrosch@sirius.com
Cc:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible Commercial app for FreeBSD.

> I have seen the SCO version of Oracle running on FreeBSD. Granted I did'nt
> try testing it to see how well it worked but it is a start. Perhaps we
> should start a campaign to see if we can get Oracle or Sybase to do a port
> to FreeBSD. No, I am not holding my breath. :-)

I personally ran Sybase on FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 + patches + Soren & Sean's
SCO ABI code + The Linux /dev/socksys code.  It was the SVR3 Sybase,
as sold for the AT&T StarServer.

The local modifications were mostly FS modifications, since 8G of disk
in one FS was not supported by the main line code at the time.

It was sufficient to run a local copy of the Human Genome Project database
(which requires Sybase), which is all I used it for.

> Don't know about C/BASE so I will not comment. There is also C-Tree. I have
> used it on a number of projects using FreeBSD. It's not bad. The down side
> is that C-Tree is a library of ISAM routines not a RDB. It has also gotten
> very expensive in the last year. It's now around US$900.00. When I bought
> it it was US$200.00. I understand that company that makes C-Tree (the name
> escapes me just now) has an SQL server but I have not worked with it and I
> think it cost around US$2,000.00.

Raima and or dbVista, I tink.

You're right that it's not relational: it's associative.  Associative
is better than relational: you can do fuzzy searches based on incomplete
sets of keys out of possible key categories.  I used the dbVista code
for a support database a number of years ago (I also paid $200 for the
thing).  Enter some keywords related to the error message and the
customers complaint, and it would sort in hit probability order based
on descending best match, a techinical support fix for the problem.
Build the expertise into the system, not into the support operators, I
say (but then, as support manager, it benefitted me to be able to
hire college students instead of PHd's... they cost less).  Ah, m Log(n)
fuzzy searches, where m never gets larger than the number of potential
key categories.  8-).

As far as I know, the only other associative databases which are
commercially available are sold by IBM and run on big IBM iron.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.