Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 05:28:34 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015068515.e1f7bb@mired.org>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default nodump flag on certain structures

Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com> types:
> Are there any files or directories in FreeBSD that have the nodump flag set
> by default?

No. About the only flags that are set by default are noschg, to
protect critical system files when running at elevated security.

> Also, are there other ways to tell dump not to save a specific directory?

No. For things like that, I recommend a separate partition for the
files. Then mount it, and dump will ignore it no matter what you do.

> Finally, I seem to recall that there is a way to find files with specific
> flags set, but I can't remember what command does this.  If I remember
> correctly, can someone remind me which command allows this to be done?

Whenever the question starts with "I want to find files with", the
answer on Unix is usually the fourth word. Not always, but it's worth
checking the man page. Doing so turns up the following, run as root:
"find / -flags +nodump". In the cases where find isn't the answer, it
can probably provide it anyway :-).

If you have non-ufs file systems, you may want to run it on each local
file system separately with -x, or do something like

	find / \( \! -fstype ufs -prune \) -or -flags +nodump

	<mike