Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 11:40:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nathan Patwardhan <nvp@colltech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD and sysinstall

On Wednesday, 22 December 1999 at  9:55:43 -0500, Nathan Patwardhan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been tooling around with PicoBSD under 3.x-STABLE and am curious
> how to boot sysinstall instead of init.  To date, I've been working
> with the boot_crunch.conf.generic crunchgen "script" and a "custom"
> version of the "dial" PicoBSD distribution; so far, I can build an
> image that "seems" to have a /stand/sysinstall or /stand/init but when
> I boot with a '-v' option:  /stand/oinit, /stand/init,
> /stand/sysinstall and /stand/sysinstall.bak aren't found and I'm
> prompted that the system will auto reboot in 15 seconds.  *sigh*
>
> What might I be missing here?  I do recall a similar posting to the
> freebsd-small mailing list awhile back but I wonder if there's an
> easier way.

At a guess, you've modified the loader scripts, and the loader isn't
with this problem earlier this month.

The method I settled on was to remove almost everything from /boot on
the floppy.  I'm left with:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  lemis  73470 Dec 20 13:19 loader
-rw-r--r--  1 root  lemis     40 Dec 19 09:33 loader.rc

loader is compressed with kgzip, so it might be slightly smaller.
loader.rc contains:

load kernel
load -t mfs_root fs.PICOBSD

You may find things easier if you update to a recent -CURRENT and use
the picobsd/custom build tree as a basis.  It's set to generate two
floppies, but it doesn't have to be that way (just remove the
hierarchy crunch2/ to generate a single floppy).

Greg