Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 99 12:02:31 -0500
From:      msokolov@meson.jpsystems.com (Michael Sokolov)
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   USB tty devices

Hi there,

I wonder, does the FreeBSD USB support include generic tty devices that would
look like normal ttys to the userland? I'm working with devices that used to be
normal RS-232, but the most recent model uses USB instead. Folks say that
everything is the same except for USB being used instead of RS-232, so I guess
I need some support in the kernel that would make a USB device look exactly the
same as normal RS-232 tty ports. I wonder, does FreeBSD have this and if it
does, what's the minimum version I need? I'm running 2.2.8 right now. TIA.

--
Michael Sokolov				2695 VILLA CREEK DR STE 240
Software Engineer			DALLAS TX 75234-7329 USA

P.S. These devices are Palm OS connected organizers that use RS-232 for their
HotSync protocol. HandSpring is making a new Palm OS device that uses USB
instead, and I have been given the task of making it possible to talk to these
critters from UNIX as it is possible with normal PalmPilots using pilot-link
/dev/cuaa0 or whatever.