Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:27:24 -0500
From:      "Ed Wynn" <edwynn42@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: D-Link problem

>[snip] Sorry 'bout that.  I was working on the assumption that the driver
>was working properly, and was just dying during userland init (ifconfig).
>The "rlphy0: no media present" line tells us that the driver isn't 100%
>healthy, at least with this card.

Not a problem.  Good learning exercise for me.

>It would be interesting to see what the result of the PHY_READ call is
>(just
>before the 'no media present' printf line).  It could be that the D-Link
>card is encoding media types differently (which means that BMSR_MEDIAMASK
>needs updating), or is simply really telling us nothing.

The PHY_READ call is returning 6, which is BSMR_LINK | BSMR_JABBER.  I
checked capmask, and it's 0xffffffff, so that's okay.  Looks like the
"nothing" gues is accurate.  I tried hard coding the capabilities
(overriding the return value) to those listed in the manual (10 and 100,
full and half, and autonegotiate), and it still kernel panics the same way,
so I would guess that there are two problems here, not just one.

Greg Schmidt (still writing from edwynn42@hotmail.com)