Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 20:41:47 -0700
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@Poohsticks.Org>
To:        Katsushi Kobayashi <ikob@koganei.wide.ad.jp>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:46:37 +0900, Katsushi Kobayashi <ikob@koganei.wide.ad.jp> wrote:
>But, my driver will be helpful some people for following purposes:
>
>- To use DV equipements.

I have both professional and personal interests in DV (I use a helmet
mounted PC1 for sports video), and would love to play with it on my
unix boxen although there are a few impediments:

1.  Matsushita (Panasonic) has patents applicable to anything which
    extracts video and/or audio from the a DV data stream (see US
    Patent 5,691,819) as well as ones on the most obvious techniques
    for transcoding to DV.

    This is a huge impediment to bazaar style development of most unix DV
    software, and it would be wonderful if you or some one else in geographic
    proximity to them were to work out some sort of compatable licensing
    agreement.  As of 1997, their General Manager of Intellectual Property was

	Mr. R. Shimizu
	c/o<A0> AVC Products Development Lab<A0>
	2-15 Matsuba-cho, Kadoma-shi
	Osaka  571
	Japan
	FAX: +81-6-905-5408

2.  Patent issues aside, to do anything really fun with DV you
    need documentation (the shuffling algorithm, code book,
    quantization tables), with the obvious source being the
    "Blue Book".  Unfortunately, that carries a 50,000 yen price tag
    (about $440 USD at the current exchange rates).

    Fortunately, the subset of it embodied by DVCPRO/D7 (locked audio,
    4:1:1 sampling on both NTSC and PAL) is described in the affordable
    ($55) SMPTE 306m standard.

3.  You also need to get the data to disk.  I poked at the problem for
    parts of two evenings (write() often blocks long enough to cause dropped
    packets), and came up with the following program

	ftp://ftp.poohsticks.org/dv/capture-0.1.tar.gz

    which captures a user-specified number of DV frames off a Lynx board.
    In theory, PAL should work too although for obvious reasons I've only
    tested NTSC.

    The two process write behind code needed to avoid dropped packets is C++,
    and the DV structure definitions use __attribute__((packed)) so egcs is
    needed to compile it.

    With a few changes to capture based on time code and with a matching
    output program, this will make it possible to do assemble edits separated
    by simple cuts.

4.  I find this interesting, have seen a handful of comments on the dv
    mailing list regarding dv under unix, and have set up a mailing list
    for discussing the technical and legal issues of dv under free unicies

    	frunix-dv-request AT poohsticks DOT org