Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 08:09:59 PST
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        NIMALIN@aol.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: free bsd doesnt boot fom the second (hard disk)drive!

> > i've choose the boot manager option during the installation.Even after Itried
> > wih
> > wd(1,a)/kernel ,it didn't give me anything.Please help me.
>
> If that didn't work, then the installation wasn't successful.
>
> Try deleting the partition and reinstalling.
>
> I don't know why the bootmanager won't install.  You're the second or
> third person with this problem.

Maybe not...

I installed freebsd on wd1...

When I had a slice on wd0 and wd1, I could boot the wd1 kernel at the boot
prompt on wd0 (boot manager never booted directly).

I found when I compiled a kernel (on another machine ;-) with built in
rootdev to wd1, I could run fbsdboot from the dos based kernel with
compiled in rootdev...

But what's the strategy to read the symbols from the kernel...lets say
I have /kernel the same image as the dos based kernel...

How do I say:  <get your symbols from this file>

i.e.
I.e:
48 byte records]
Feb  8 03:27:18 compaq /c:\kernel: scd0 at 0x320-0x323 on isa
Feb  8 03:27:18 compaq /c:\kernel: scd0: <SONY CD-ROM CDU33A Rev 1.0f>
Feb  8 03:27:18 compaq /c:\kernel: ep0 not probed due to I/O address conflict wi
th ed1 at 0x300
Feb

--
marty