Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 1995 21:41:56 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        hosokawa@mt.cs.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "Giant Step" GIF test version

> The first test version of "Giant Step" GIF is now available (I've
> drawn it in a few hours.)  But I don't like following points of this
> version.  I'll draw it again.
>
> 	- The modelling of the ladder has some bugs and it looks
> 	  too cheap,
> 	- I want to include the picture of the moon and the earth,
> 	- The layout of the objects is too bad, and
> 	- The mapped texture on the ground is not good.

Well, I agree with all of the above and would like to add the
following: The wording "One small step for UN*X, one giant step for
PCs" just doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid.  Everyone here at Walnut
Creek CDROM who looked at it felt similarly.  They didn't like the
wording and it was generally felt that the image was too obscure -
just a shadow and a footprint.  I think that if you had the earth/sun
and layout changes you talk about above, plus different wording, it
would turn a really good image into a really *great* image!

I don't mean to be entirely negative - the production values in these
last two drawings has been excellent!  We just need to agree on a
common composition & accompanying words.

I think the idea should be explored further, with more scenery.  In
addition to the earth, you could even put a little CDROM somewhere
on the horizon! :-)  The daemon could even be in a space-suit, the
helmet having "horns" of course! :-)

Words?  Hmmmm..  The "FreeBSD 2.1" with the little daemon at the bottom
was perfect, I think, we just need different words for the top.  The
daemon has landed? :-)  You could even put a partial sentence:

		" .. one giant leap for BSD"

					Jordan