Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 22:18:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Sam <freep@thecity.sfsu.edu>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: one file system two tapes

Okay- here's the scoop. This particular tape drive seems to be configured to
not have EARLY WARNING enabled. This means that when it's near EOT, instead of
stopping short of physical end of media, it wait's until it's *really* at the
end- and closing filemarks can't b ewritten.

I suppose that the sa driver should configure this- but see if there are some
jumper settings about this, and maybe somebody else on this list could gen up
a camcontrol command string that you could try on the drive to get EEW turned
on.

In the interim, rather than using the 'a' argument, you *can* generate an
estimated amount, call it 3GB and just fake a density and a tape length so
that dump(8) will stop before it crosss the 3GB mark.

-matt