Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:56:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Craig Burgess" <craig@CheetahUSA.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RELEASE - XFree - netscape + gnome problems

Craig Burgess writes:

 > Next: Anything I've tried to install which requires Gnome fails -
 > Attempting to install ICEWM:
 >
 > configure:7753: cc -o
 > conftest -O -pipe -mcpu=ev4 -I/usr/X11R6/include -Wall -Wu
 > nused  -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/gtk12 -I/usr/local/include/
 > glib
 > 12 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include  -L/usr/X11R6/lib
 > conftest.c -L/usr
 > /local/lib 1>&5
 > /tmp/ccoKog09.o: In function `main':
 > /tmp/ccoKog09.o(.text+0x8): undefined reference to `_nl_msg_cat_cntr'
 > configure: failed program was:
 > #line 7745 "configure"
 > #include "confdefs.h"

Sometimes some of the ports don't have up-to-date depandancy lists &
fail in configure.  I don't know enough about gnu configure or FreeBSD
ports to comment intelligently.

You should probably resend this (minus the netscape resolver issues)
to either freebsd-ports@freebsd.org or freebsd-gnome@freebsd.  You
mgiht want to tell them what packages you have installed (ls
/var/db/pkg). It may also be a good idea to grab the latest version of
the ports tree via cvsup before contacting anybody.

FWIW, I'm using my alpha as my desktop machine with gnome-1.4, built
last August.  It took me the better part of a week to get it building
(most was thumb-twiddling while it built).  I contributed patches to
get the alpha build working to the gnome@ people.  I think most were
integrated, so gnome should build, but I haven't tried it since I
don't want to kill my working setup.

BTW, If you have an ev56 (21164A) or better, set
CPUTYPE=ev56
in /etc/make.conf

Some ports compile with -O2.  gcc -O2 is suspected of creating buggy
code on alphas when gcc has to do shifty/masky to access memory at
byte or word granularitues.  CPUTYPE=ev56 tells gcc to use the
byte-word instructions which are present in ev56 and better & leads to
better code.

Drew