Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 16:45:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mark A. Fullmer" <maf@net.ohio-state.edu>
To:        langfod@dihelix.com (David Langford)
Cc:        jbrown@vafibre.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: rdist Alternatives

>If moving password files and such I prefer "scp" from the ssh distribution.
>It does encryption over the wire and compression.
>
>I do wish it had the intelligence of rdist though....

Grab ftp://ucl.edu/pub/rdist/rdist-6.1.3.tar.gz, then in config/config.h
change

            #undef  _PATH_OLDRDIST
            #ifdef _PATH_RDISTD
            #undef _PATH_RDISTD
            #endif
            #define _PATH_RDISTD "/usr/local/bin/sdistd"

            #ifdef _PATH_REMSH
            #undef _PATH_REMSH
            #endif
            #define _PATH_REMSH     "/usr/local/bin/ssh"

make, install.  Now sdist is rdist with ssh.

--
mark