Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:33:05 +1100
From:      Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
To:        Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>
Cc:        Loren Siebert <loren@siebert.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd use on microsoft site

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 at 14:11:03 -0600, Bill Hamilton wrote:
> >From the FAQ on www.winfiles.com :
>
> "Is this site run by Microsoft?
> No. WinFiles.com is not officially affiliated with Microsoft
> Corporation in any way. It is an independent Web site run by an
> independent group of individuals."

Eh?  Who was talking about winfiles?  I directed him to the Kirch
paper because I assumed the "high volume" Microsoft site he was
talking about was Hotmail (owned by Microsoft) and runs on FreeBSD and
Solaris.  From the Kirch paper..

	Hotmail, The Microsoft Corporation
	This free Web-based e-mail service runs a mixture of Sun
	Solaris and FreeBSD.  Apache 1.2.1 is the Web server software.
	After Microsoft purchased the company in December 1997, they
	tried to migrate to NT, but ". . . the demands of supporting
	10 million users reportedly proved too great for NT, and
	Solaris was reinstated."

Also, AFAIK winfiles.com runs BSD/OS, not FreeBSD.

--
: Jim Mock			| [jim@corp.au.triax.com]	:
: System Administrator		| http://www.triax.com/		: