Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 01:18:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      Johan Larsson <gozer@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 128 PCI buses...

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Mark Mayo wrote:

> Hey, I've just installed -current for the first time in ages on
> my PPro system. Everything works fine, except the boot
> tries to detect devices on 128 PCI buses.. Needless to say, I don't
> have that many :-)  Only 1 in fact. Is this normal?? I've attached
> a desg output below.. Everything works peachy, but the boot-up is
> surprising when the 128 PCI probes go *flying* by! :-)
>
> Also, for the new sound code, do you just need a line like this in
> the kernel config:
>
> device pcm0 at isa? port? tty irq 7 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr
>
> I have an old SB-16 "classic" - i.e. not plug and play..
> The boot messages tell me:
>
> 	mss_probe: no address supplied, try default 0x530
> 	sb_probe: no address supplied, try defaults (0x220,0x240)
> 	pcm0 at 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 on isa
>
> I'm assuming this means I need more goodies in my config file. I wasn't
> sure what parts belongs to the "snd0" drivers, and what belonged with
> the "pcm0" driver.. I didn't put in the plug-n-play stuff either, which
> I'm assuming I don't need since my sound card isn't plug-n-pray..

Well, you have your audiodevice as audio0 now. Try to cat an audiofile to
/dev/audio0 and you will probably hear something :-)

The sb_probe line just tells you that it will try to probe at adress
0x220 and 0x240. And it seems to succeed just fine :-)

You can change your config line to:

device pcm0 at isa? port 0x220 tty irq 7 drq 1 flags 0x0 vector pcmintr

	Johan
--
  * mailto:gozer@ludd.luth.se * http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/gozer/ *