Date:      10 Oct 2000 14:21:08 -0400
From:      Nat Lanza <magus@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   adding '-gnome' and '-gtk' to package names

Is this really necessary? I noticed this change when I updated my
ports tree, and frankly I hate it. The toolkits and libraries that a
package uses shouldn't get tacked onto the package name; should we
also have sawfish-gnome-gtk-xlib-libc-0.31.1?

Also, it breaks pkg_version, which is really annoying:

  # pkg_version -v
  [ elided ]
  sawfish-gnome-0.31.1        ?   unknown in index
  [ elided ]
  xscreensaver-gtk-3.24       ?   unknown in index

Please consider backing out this change.

Thanks.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs