Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 1995 22:20:23 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "Text file busy" with program not running anymore?

>    It is expected. Whenever a file is executed, the VTEXT flag is set on the
> vnode to indicate that someone is executing it. The flag remains set until
> there are no references to it and it is no longer cached. In your case, it
> lingered in the cache. It never 'times out' - the cached vnodes are replacede
> with other cached vnodes - so it will only get out of the cache if there is
> activity on the system to flush it out.
>    It's conceivable that there could be a count instead of a flag...but this
> complicates things quite a bit and I don't see the point in it. Just rm the
> file first.

This smells like trouble to me. What happens during a "cd /usr/src; make all;
make install"? What will happen to the open shared libraries? In the last
couple of days I get panics at the library install phase of make world (sure
it may be something else, but I am as suspicious as hell).

> Wouldn't the right thing be to flush it if it is opened for write ?

Again - what happens to shared libraries?

--
Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa