Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 10:42:41 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Makeworld on slow machine

On 2001-Jul-01 03:29:20 -0700, "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com> wrote:
>So then I thought - what if I just burn a CD with /usr/src and/or
>/usr/obj on it - can I makeworld with that on the slow machine?

Yes, but if you're intending to mount the cdrom as /usr/{obj,src} and
then run "make installworld", it will be very slow due to the poor
random access performance of CD-ROM's.  If you have the disk space on
the P-100, you'd be better off copying the files off the CD-ROM onto
local disk and then running installworld.  (And tar'ing /usr/src and
/usr/obj into one or two files and then just burning the tar files
onto CD-ROM may be faster than copying the directory tree - you can
also compress the tar files, which avoids the CD-ROM space issue).

Leep in mind that both /usr/src and /usr/obj will grow over time -
they are larger in -CURRENT than in -STABLE.  In designing your
file transfer strategy, you should take this into account.

>A) Do I need both /usr/src and /usr/obj?
Yes.

> Do I need any files other than those?
No.

>B) What do I need to do to ensure that there is nothing specific to
>machine A when I copy source files to machine B

Assuming you aren't using CPU-specific flags in /etc/make.conf to
compile for something higher than a Pentium, there will be no problems
with userland or kernel modules.

> -- ie are the object
>files changed by the kernel configuration file when you make
>buildkernel?

The actual kernel is defined by you kernel configuration file.  Your
choices are either to have a kernel configuration file that will run
on either machine, or build distinct kernels for each machine.  The
actual object file contents will depend on the options in your kernel
configuration file.

Peter