Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 09:52:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Tiemann <btman@ugcs.caltech.edu>
To:        Chris <chrisj@outcast.media-net.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WD errors

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Chris wrote:

> within the last week i have been running into problems when the system
> will go idle. It will still take something like telnet/http/ftp
> connections but will never complete them and allow the login. it will
> connect up but then never display a prompt. Errors on the console are as
> follows. wd0s1f: wdstart: timeout waiting to give command reading fsbn
> 3148892 of 3148892-3148893 (wd0s1 bn 3689468; cn 229 tn 167 sn 62)wd0:
> status 80<busy> error 80<badblk>. after afew screens of that the message
> will turn to  wd0: wdunwedge failed:
> > wd0: status 80<busy> error 80<badblk>
> > wd0s1f: wdstart: timeout waiting to give command reading fsbn 3148892 of
> 3148892-3148893 (wd0s1 bn 3689468; cn 229 tn 167 sn 62)wd0: status
> 80<busy> error 80<badblk>. the system will remain on-line (ie pingable)
> but will no longer display a console login either. a hard boot will take
> care of the problem but once the system drops into idle again they will
> reserface.

	I had that same thing happen to me, on a 2.2.2-RELEASE system. I
went through all sorts of theories, from heat problems on the disk itself
(it often wouldn't mount on boot after this until I'd put the disk in the
freezer for an hour or so), to a flaky power supply, to just really bad
luck with disks (this happened to a Seagate Medalist and then a WD Caviar
disk sequentially).

	Eventually I went and got an all-SCSI system with a UPS; I'm
currently thinking that the errors are resulting from a bad IDE
controller, and here's why: On the 2.2.2 system, I did a bad144, and it
told me that something like 90% of my disk had bad blocks-- it bailed out
after only getting about 36% through the disk. So I assumed the disk was
fried... I took it home and put it in a DOS box, ran the WD tools on it
(which does a surface scan and general hardware diagnostic)... and it
found no errors whatsoever.

	So whatever the problem was, it's my old machine's hardware. So
I'd venture that you might have a flaky IDE controller there.

Brian