Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 15:47:35 +1000
From:      Dave Records <daver@emerald-edi.com>
To:        Narayan Desai <nldesai@dsmserver.uchicago.edu>
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aic7895 problems

--------------9BBFE6FC08194549CC9BD322

Narayan Desai wrote:

> I recently tried upgrading from 2.1.103 (patched with a more recent
> version of the aic7xxx driver, so my controller would work) to 2.1.125.
> When it starts to boot, it detects the first drive in my scsi chain at
> 20.0 Mhz as opposed to the 10.0 that the old driver negotiated (this is
> not an ultra fast drive) and it starts getting parity errors and timing
> out. I then tried upgrading to the newest version of the driver off of
> dialnet and the same thing happened. At this point, i tried setting the
> maximum negotiation rate in the scsi bios, and i foudn that all values
> in the scsi bios were reset to the default on reboot (which is

Yes, we had this problem with several Tyan Thunder boards and the problem
is the on board bios does not save the settings in the scsi bios when
you ask it to.  The solution is a bios upgrade from Tyan.  They promptly
sent us new chips, but it is downloadable with a utiltity to flash the
eproms, however we were not successful in this endeavor.  I emailed Tyan
support a couple of times and never received a response, but since they had
sent us new eproms, I didn't have the time to pursue the flash method.

The new version we have shows "Tyan Thunder 2 V1.16" on the boot up screen,
so the chances are, if yours isn't at least this rev level, it doesn't
save the scsi settings when you tell it to and think it is actually
working...

Regards
Dave Records
Emerald Database Innovations

--------------9BBFE6FC08194549CC9BD322

begin:          vcard
fn:             Dave Records
n:              Records;Dave
org:            Emerald Database Innovations, Inc.
email;internet: daver@emerald-edi.com
title:          Systems Anaylyst
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE