Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 15:22:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Invalid ps start time values for kernel processes ?

Paul Koch <paul.koch@statscout.com> wrote:
 > My development machine was running CMOS time (might change
 > that because there is no Windows here!) and there is a
 > /etc/wall_cmos_clock file.  Our network appliance platform only
 > runs in UTC so my ps runs fine on it.

That explains it.

 > Wouldn't it be more consistant for all process info be stored
 > in UTC and get ps to convert/display it in localtime ?

That's already the case.  All times are stored in UTC, and
it's only converted to your local timezone for display by
ps, ls, date etc.  The kernel does not have any timezone
information at all -- the kernel knows only UTC.

The problem ist that during boot of the kernel, i.e. even
before the root filesystem is mounted, there is no way to
find out your timezone.  If the CMOS clock runs in UTC,
then there is no problem -- the kernel just picks it up
and uses it as its internal UTC clock.  All process time
information will be correct, right from the start.

However, if the CMOS clock runs in local time, then there
is no way for the kernel to convert it to UTC, because the
kernel does not know what your local timezone is.  How
should it know?  Those system processes are started before
the root filesystem can be mounted, i.e. there is no
information from /etc/localtime and /etc/wall_cmos_clock.
The kernel has no other choice than interpreting the value
of the CMOS clock as UTC, which results in an error that
amounts to the offset of your local timezone.

Regards
   Oliver