Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2001 18:10:41 -0700
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@PoohSticks.ORG>
To:        Kevin Brunelle <kruptos@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel editing tools.

In message <3A81E786.25B66250@netzero.net>, kruptos@netzero.net writes:
>Hey everyone,
>
>Sorry if you have heard this before, or if it is annoying. I just can't
>seem to find any information on this.
>
>I have been poking around my kernel for quite some time now, and I have
>been doing it with various text editors and programs of that nature. It
>suddenly occured to me that there might be a better way to go about
>this. So I ask you, are there any programs that make reading and editing
>the kernel sources any easier?

Sure - vi.  Among other things, the movement keys are on your touch typing
homerow, it plays nice with ctags(1), /^function_name works great, and the
regex based search and replace is real useful.

>Surely you aren't all hacking away on vi or the *other* editor.

Reasonable arguments can be made for emacs too.

--
For those who do, no explanation is necessary.
For those who don't, no explanation is possible.