Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:45:02 -0600
From:      "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
To:        "Michael Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Shells Question

   > I would use login classes instead of shells; that's what they're there
   > for.  To toot my own horn a bit:
   >
   > http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/06/28/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
   >
   > On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:35:09PM -0600, Scott Gerhardt wrote:
   > > To disallow shell accounts for ftp and pop users etc.,
   > > Is it better to use /sbin/nologin or /nonexistent for a
   > shell entry in
   > > /etc/passwd?
   > >
   > > "/nonexistent" does not exist
   > > "/sbin/nologin"  exists and actually fires up a shell and returns
   > > something.
   > >
   > > FTP users must have a valid shell but this can be set to anything in
   > > /etc/shells.
   > >
   > > Can't seem to find a definitive answer to this.

Thanks Michael,

I do use login classes, but I would like to still add the appropriate entry
to /etc/passwd just to be on the safe side (I don't manage that many users
on my system).  I have the following entries in my /etc/login.access.

-:ALL EXCEPT wheel:console
-:ALL EXCEPT wheel:ALL

I will add other users/groups to the second entry as needed.

	- Scott