Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 10:06:08 -0600
From:      Jim Lowe <james@allmalt.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Sound card configurations + questions

I currently have a PAS-16 card configured in my kernel.  To properly
configure the card I need the following stuff in my configuration file:

---
options		ALLOW_CONFLICT_IOADDR	# For pas0 & opl0
#options	"PAS_SYMPHONY"		# Only use if symphony chip set probs
options		BROKEN_BUS_CLOCK	# Only use if OPTI chip set probs
options		EXCLUDE_SBPRO		# PAS has old SB emulation
options		"SBC_IRQ=5"		# SBC_IRQ must match irq on sb0 line
# sound stuff... Order is important here, the pas device must be configured
# before the sb device, since the sb emulation gets set in the pas attach.
controller	snd0
device		pas0	at isa? port 0x388 irq 12 drq 3 vector pasintr
device		sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device		opl0	at isa? port 0x388
---

Using this configuration, I am able to read and write to /dev/{dsp,audio},
and write /dev/{dsp,audio}1, and use the pas-16 card as a full duplex audio
card.  Other than the standard flakiness of the pas card this configuration
works well.

I also have a GUS-16 card (rev 3.7) and a couple of GUSMAX cards.  I am not
certain what the correct configuration of these cards are.  The GUSMAX
card seems to have a SB dma, and two gus dma channels (one for read and one
for write) as well as two interrupts (one for sb and one for gus).

Looking at the possible configurations I don't see how to take advantage
of this.  I have tried this configuration.

---
device		gus0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 12 drq 7 vector gusintr
device		gusxvi0 at isa? port 0x530 irq 12 drq 7 vector adintr
device		gusmax0	at isa? port 0x32c
device		sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
device		opl0	at isa? port 0x388
---
The kernel comes back with:
	gus0: at 0x220 irq 12 drq 7 on isa
	gus0: <Gravis UltraSound MAX (512k)>
	gusxvi0: not probed due to conflict with gus0 at 7
	gusmax0 not found at 0x32c
	sb0 not found at 0x220
	opl0 at 0x388 on isa
	opl0: <Yamaha 2-OP FM>

When I try and read/write /dev/{dsp,audio} I get an error; however,
/dev/{dsp,audio}1 seem to work (somewhat).

Questions:
Has the old full duplex code been brought forward into the new sound
drivers for the gus card?  If not, is someone already doing this or should
I take a hack at it?

What is the correct configuration for a gus-16 card?

What is the correct configuration for a gus-max card?

Anyone know why the sb emulation doesn't work with the gus cards?

Thanks for any help,

	-Jim