Date:      Sat, 01 May 1999 02:25:36 +0300
From:      Fadi Sodah <sodah@qatar.net.qa>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Best firewall configuration

Greetings

What is the best firewall configuration to make smurf
and ICMPs attack useless ?

I'm runing an IRC server and would like to protect it
as much as I can from all possible attacks.

My ISP is offering a service, which will allow me to create any type of
Packet Filtering policy I require for my aloccated server. The Firewall
"Officers" sit between my server and the ISP backbone network. These
Officers have full packet filtering capability and can filter on any
protocol or IP address.

My ISP asked me to tell them what exactly do I need and they
gave me this example:-

"List the IP Addresses to be configured for Packet Filtering Services
and
 indicate the Policy Line for each.
 You may have multiple policy lines per IP Address. Attach a separate
piece of
 paper if necessary."

FROM:                                  TO:
                    Allow or Deny    IP Address or    Block IP Address
or
Block                    Port or Application
Example       Allow                       Any
206.171.12.100
ICMP
Example       Deny                       Any
206.171.12.32/27
ICMP

Thanks in advance

-Pons