Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:25:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        ken keeler <kkeysler@nwlink.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cannot install 3.1 from CDROM

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, ken keeler wrote:

> I have been unable to install from the 3.1 CD's. I've tried installing
> over a network cdrom and a local cdrom with the same results.
>

> The process hangs with the progress indicator at 0% and with the message
> "extracting bin into / directory..." At the bottom of the screen the
> message is, "1024 bytes read from bin dist, chunk 1 0f 102 @ 1.0
> KB/sec." The cd will start then quit.

I had the same problem with the same part of the install. The dict
portion also failed for the same reason.

> I have attempted this on two separate ATAPI CDROMS that are known to
> work under 2.2.7 and 3.0.
>
> There is nothing in errata.txt about this condition.
>
> Has anyone else had this trouble, and what do I do to correct it? This
> seems to be a problem with the floppies. Both floppies were formatted
> using fdformat prior to copying the images (kern.flp and mfsroot.flp) on
> them. I've read in the archive that the new system is "picky" about
> floppy media. In an attempt to locate the source of the trouble, two
> sets of floppies were made. Neither set produced any different results.

I do not think it is the floppies or the hardware but it is sysinstall
(best guess). When trying to install the kernel sources the same problem
cropped up. But, I then copied the chunks onto the hard drive and used
supplied install.sh. It worked.

> Just to see what would happen, I used a 3.0 boot.flp to install, and the
> install went, but, of course, the box would not boot.

Yes, the bad part is that even if the install looks like it went, files
are missing and with no warning other than a slow transfer rate.

I my case, after half a dozen attempts, enough of the system got onto
the hard drive to allow me to boot a severely crippled system. The
next step was to get the #2 CD mounted in fixit mode, switch to the
holographic shell and brute force copy the live system from the CD
to the hard drive. This worked.

From there I kept running things and fixing the problems. Mostly
permissions and links/configuration. On this particular point the
last install attemp failed after (apparently) transfering all of
files because chown and some other utility I've forgotten had not
made it onto the hard drive.

The only common point of failure (from my non programmer point of
view) is the /stand/sysinstall on the 3.1R CDROMs.

If anyone else has more, lets hear it. :-)

I think sysinstall should have "break points" where the install
process can be "resumed" like right after the transfer of files.
Then again after "devices being remade", etc. Just a thought.

John