Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:46:17 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 21:15 +0100, Karl M. Joch wrote:

> i would like to get my notebook,which hangs on boot (pcic), to run again
> with freebsd. was there any recent changes or any hints how i could get
> around that problem? (the problem was posted with KAPOK in the subject).

You didn't state (again) where it "hangs on boot".  Plus I didn't
feel like crawling the archives again (BTW Message-Id's are far
better handles than single words in the subject line).  Is your
problem by any chance the famous(?)
  hw.pcic.intr_path=1
  hw.pcic.irq=0
thingy?  If these settings help you at boot time, just put them
into your /boot/loader.conf and things should keep working.  These
settings are not in UPDATING as I can see, but Warner Losh posted
quite a few of these instructions again and again into the lists
(both -stable and -mobile).  And these lines might be in the 4.4
RELNOTES, too (don't have them handy ATM).

For your searching here's the initial announcement, while many
people asked this question again and got answered, too. :)