Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:18:36 -0400
From:      "Generic Player" <generic@unitedtamers.com>
To:        "Brian Nelson" <brian.nelson@corp.pocket.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BSD

> Though you can have users and groups, you typically have 1 user logged
into 1
> machine at a time.  In UNIX, you can have hundreds logged into the same
> machine, running several tasks, interactivly with the OS.  It's the
difference
> between "I have multiple user accounts" and "I am helping multiple users".
>
> In fact, with things like VNC, you can be logged into your FreeBSD,
showing a
> fully-functional desktop, without being on that same machine.

Um, actually you can have several people logged into and using a single NT
box at one time.  The distinction you are making here is one that exists
only in your head.  And I realize VNC is similar to MS Terminal Server, I am
not sure what that has to do with it though.

> "It doesn't further BSD any when every comment about it has to bash MS."
is
> simply excessive.  In fact, I bet if you check the freebsd-stable archive,
you
> would see that most comments or discussions about BSD don't even include,
MS,
> WinTendo, MicroSoft, WinTel, Winblows, Losedoze, Windoze, DasFuhrerSoft,
u$oft,
> or M$ in any of their content.  Perhaps you're confuging freebsd-questions
with
> linux-questions, or some other linux mailing list?

No, I am not.  I am commenting about your post in particular.  I realize
that on the whole BSD users are more experienced and mature than linux
users, but that doesn't mean using BSD makes you mature.  When you refer to
windows as windoze, and try to pass off NT as being the same as 9x, and
worse when you make just plain wrong statements about the OS, its a step
back for the whole BSD community, bringing us closer to the l33t sysadmin
wannabes that plague the linux community.

> > MS.  I think FreeBSD is a pretty good OS, don't you?  Good enough to
stand
> > on its own merits I'd say.
>
> Absolutely.

Then there is no need to pretend NT isn't a multi-user OS to try and make
FreeBSD look more impressive then is there?

Generic Player